Colors have big secret. What is this secret you ask? They can affect your mood!
Colors can cause a person to feel agitated or calm. Just watch any of the interior design shows on television and you’ll see that simply changing the color in a space can change the entire mood and feel of the space. This holds true for print design as well. Colors can affect the mood, feel, and tone of your printed design pieces as well. Part of the reason for this mood shift is that we make associations about the symbolism a color holds. This symbolism is partially based on the culture we live in. I will be focusing on Western Culture, more specifically, the way we view colors here in America. Some colors grab attention better than others, while some are subdued and recede into the background.
Let’s take a quick look at the symbolism behind the colors. This time we’ll focus on the color BLUE
A Few of the Meanings and Symbols of Blue
- AssociationsImpressions Include: Secure, Cold, Comforting
- Cultural Symbolism: (American): Website links, Sadness, Reliable, Authority
- Mood: Relaxing
Designing with BLUE
- One of the easiest colors to work with, one of the most popular colors.
- Psychologically, creates a sense of calmness
- Lighter shades can be used as a background color as well as a highlight color, but darker shades work better as a highlight color only
Stay Tuned for More “The Secret World of Color”
pssst: while you are waiting you can take a look at our Portfolio